In addition to the requirements listed below, College of Arts & Media (CAM) students must complete requirements listed on the CU Denver Core Curriculum page and also General Graduation Requirements listed on the Graduation and Undergraduate Core Requirements page in this catalog.
Grade and GPA Requirements
- A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required in all University of Colorado course work
- A minimum of C (2.0) is required for each course applied toward a CAM major, minor or certificate requirement. A grade of C- (1.7) or lower will not fulfill a major, minor or certificate requirement. A grade of P is acceptable for courses in which the only grade available is Pass or Fail.
For BA and BFA degrees, a minimum of 45 semester hours of upper division (3000/4000-level) course work is required.
A minimum of 30 semester hours of resident credit is required.
CAM General Course Requirements
All CAM undergraduates must complete at least one course in the arts outside of their major area. Specifically:
- Music majors must take three semester hours in theater, film and/or visual arts
- Visual arts majors must take three semester hours in film & television and/or music
- Film and television majors must take three semester hours in visual arts and/or music
Students may mix and match disciplines to reach 3 semester hours, or they may take a 3-semester hour course in one discipline.
Note: The course selected to fulfill Non-Major Arts cannot also fulfill a category of the CU Denver Core.
For BA degree (Art History) students must complete the foreign language requirement using one of the options below:
- Completion of a 2nd year (Level II) high school course with a minimum grade of C- (1.7) in the final semester.
- Completion of a 2nd semester (Level II) college-level course with a minimum grade of C- (1.7). May not be taken pass/fail. A “conversation” course is not acceptable. This option may involve taking up to 10 semester hours.
- Demonstration of college-level second semester proficiency by exam. Contact the CU Denver Department of Modern Languages at 303-315-7234 for details.
For BFA degrees in Film and Television students must complete the foreign language requirement using one of the options below:
- Take a second course from the approved list for Core category: International Perspectives (recommended to be taken at the upper division (3000/4000) level)
- Take any level foreign language course
For BFA degrees in Fine Arts and the BS in Music, foreign language is not included as a requirement.
CAM undergraduates may need to complete general elective courses to meet minimum credit requirements described in the General Graduation Requirements.
All CAM students must be admitted to a major and an emphasis within that major. Students must complete all major requirements to graduate. Links to information about specific majors and emphases, including any required reviews/assessments for admission, may be found on the Programs page in this catalog.
Departments in the college have developed a variety of minors. A maximum of six non-CU Denver semester hours can be used toward each CAM minor. In addition, students may use up to six semester hours to fulfill both major and minor requirements; the remaining semester hours for the minor must be taken in addition to the major requirements.
Students are not required to have a minor to graduate. Students may choose to declare a minor in CAM or in another college/school in the university. Links to information about specific minors, including any required reviews/assessments for admission, may be found on the Programs page in this catalog.
More than 120 semester hours may be required to complete both a major and minor.
Departments in the college are working to develop a variety of certificates. In general, all credits toward a CAM certificate must be completed at CU Denver.
Students are not required to have a certificate to graduate. Students may choose to declare a certificate in CAM or in another college/school in the university. Links to information about specific certificates, including any required reviews/assessments for admission, may be found on the Programs page in this catalog.
More than 120 semester hours may be required to complete both a major and a certificate.
Students may graduate with more than one emphasis within the same CAM major by completing all requirements for each emphasis (e.g., BFA in Fine Arts with double emphases in digital design and photography). Completing these requirements will likely require more than 120 semester hours.
Students may graduate with more than one major in CAM by completing all requirements for each major within a single degree (e.g., a BFA with a major in fine arts, photography emphasis AND a second major in film & television). Completing these requirements will likely require more than 120 semester hours. Double majors apply to students completing two majors from different CAM departments.
Students may earn two degrees in the College of Arts & Media (e.g., BFA in Film & Television and BA in Fine Arts) or from two different schools or colleges in the university (e.g., BS in Music and a BS in Physics) simultaneously by fulfilling all requirements for both degrees. Students must complete a minimum of 120 semester hours applied toward the two degrees, and likely more will be needed to fulfill all requirements.
Students who have been awarded a bachelor’s degree from CAM may be granted a second bachelor’s degree provided that (a) all general requirements for the second degree have been met; (b) the degree plan for the second bachelor’s degree is different from the first (for example, a student cannot twice complete a BFA in Fine Arts with an emphasis in photography); and (c) the college and major department residence requirements are satisfied. A second degree from CAM requires a minimum of 30 additional semester hours.