Jun 20, 2024  
2010-2011 Denver Campus Catalog 
2010-2011 Denver Campus Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Office of the Registrar

Click on any of the following links for information:

UC Denver offers students a completely online system of planning their schedules and registering for classes. As a student, you are responsible for knowing the deadlines, rules, regulations, course loads, prerequisites and policies of the university, as well as those of the college or school in which you are enrolled, all of which is provided within this online catalog.

Office of the Registrar

Registrar: Teri Burleson
Office: CU-Denver Building Annex, 100
Telephone: 303-556-2734
E-mail: Teri.Burleson@ucdenver.edu
Web site: www.ucdenver.edu/Registrar

Academic Calendar*


Summer 2010

Registration Begins early March
May 31 Memorial Day holiday (campus closed, no classes)
May 18–June 4 Maymester
June 7–July 31 Summer
July 5 Independence Day holiday observation (campus closed, no classes)
July 31 End of Term

Fall 2010

Registration Begins late April
August 23 First day of classes
September 6 Labor Day holiday (campus closed, no classes)
November 22–28 Fall break for students (campus open, no classes)
November 25 Thanksgiving holiday (campus closed, no classes)
December 13–18 Finals week
December 18 Commencement

Spring 2011

Registration Begins early November
January 17 Martin Luther King Jr. holiday (campus open, no classes)
January 18 First day of classes
March 21–27 Spring break (campus open, no classes)
May 9–14 Finals week
May 14 Commencement

Maymester - Summer 2011

Registration Begins mid-March
May 30 Memorial Day holiday (campus closed, no classes)
May 17–June 3 Maymester
June 6–July 30 Summer
July 4 Independence Day holiday  (campus closed, no classes)
July 30 End of Term

*The university reserves the right to alter the academic calendar at any time. Consult the Web site at www.ucdenver.edu/registrar for application deadline dates, deadlines for changing programs and registration dates and procedures.



Students should review the sections of this catalog that describe in detail the academic programs available at the Denver Campus.

New and transfer undeclared undergraduate students, as well as prebusiness and preengineering students, should contact the Academic Advising Center at 303-352-3520 to arrange for an advising appointment prior to registration. Other freshmen and transfer students should contact their school or college to arrange for an advising appointment prior to registration.

The registrar’s office will send an e-mail message to the student’s university-assigned e-mail address, inviting the student to register, including registration information and a registration time assignment. Registration is by time assignment only. Students may register via the Web on or after their assigned time.

Web Registration and Student Information

Denver Campus students can register and obtain information regarding their academic and financial records by accessing a secure web site that requires an assigned student ID and personal identification number (PIN) to access their registration or student record options.

Online registration allows the student to check the availability of specific courses prior to their registration time and to search for available courses by department, course level or meeting time. If registration in a course is denied, the Web registration system will specify the reason.

Student information available online currently includes mailing address verification (or change), admission application status, financial aid information, schedule by semester, grades by semester, unofficial transcript, account balance, online payment and degree audit (for some programs). For security reasons, none of the student information screens will display a student’s name or student number.

Additional information regarding programs, faculty, courses and policies are available through the home page: www.ucdenver.edu.

Definition of Full-Time and Part-Time Status

Individual students receiving financial aid may be required to complete hours in addition to those listed below. The exact requirements for financial aid will be listed in the student’s financial aid award letter.

Undergraduates and nondegree graduate students:

  Full-time 12 or more semester hours
  Part-time 6 or more semester hours

Graduate degree students:


5 or more semester hours
0 semester hours as candidate for degree
1 or more semester hours of thesis (not master’s reports or thesis preparation)


3 or more semester hours


Enrollment verification including full-time/part-time attendance can be certified beginning the first day of class.

Hours for calculating full-time/part-time attendance do not include interinstitutional hours, nor do they include hours on another CU campus, unless the student is enrolled through concurrent registration.

Students receiving veteran benefits should contact the Veteran Student Services Manager for the definition of full-time status for summer sessions. Contact information: 303-556-2745 or vaoffice@ucdenver.edu.

Individual exceptions to the minimum graduate course-load levels are considered for financial aid purposes by the financial aid committee. Students must file a written appeal with the Office of Financial Aid.


Please review the current term’s academic calendar for the most recent add/drop deadlines by visiting the registrar’s Web site at www.ucdenver.edu/registrar.

Administrative Drop

An administrative drop is implemented by university officials in the registrar’s office or the dean’s office. A student may be administratively dropped from one or more classes or withdrawn from all classes for any of the following reasons:

  • failure to meet certain preconditions, including but not limited to:
    • class cancellations
    • failure to meet course prerequisites
  • whenever the safety of the student, faculty member or other students in a course would be jeopardized
  • academic suspension, including but not limited to failure to attain or maintain a required GPA
  • disciplinary suspension for having been found to have violated the Student Code of Conduct
  • disruptive behavior determined by the chair and/or associate dean to be detrimental to the progress of the course and the education of other students

Auditing Courses

To qualify as an auditor for fall or spring semester, a student must be 21 years of age or older or approved by the registrar. Auditors may not be registered for any other University of Colorado courses during the time they are auditing and are not eligible to audit courses if they are under suspension from the university or have outstanding financial obligations to the university. The registrar’s office does not keep any record of courses audited; therefore, credit for these courses cannot be established. Auditors may attend as many courses as they wish (except those courses with laboratories or where special equipment is used), provided they have received permission from each instructor.

An auditor’s card is issued after classes begin. This card should be presented to the instructor. Auditors, whether resident or nonresident, pay 3 semester hours of resident tuition for all audited courses during the fall or spring semester for class instruction and library privileges only. Auditors do not receive student parking privileges and are not eligible for other student services. For more information, contact the bursar’s office.

Senior citizens (aged 60 and over) may audit classes at no charge. Contact the Division of Enrollment and Student Affairs at 1250 14th Street, 303-556-8427.

Candidate for Degree

During the semester in which you take the comprehensive exam, defend your dissertation or thesis or present your final project, you must be registered. If you will NOT be registered for any other courses, you MUST register for CAND 5940, Candidate for Degree. You may only register for this course once.

To register for CAND 5940, Candidate for Degree, (you may NOT be registered for any other courses) obtain the call number from your department or program director. You will be billed at one credit hour of resident tuition plus the SIS fee and the information technology fee. Students registered for CAND 5940 will be considered full-time for financial aid and enrollment verification purposes.

Course Load/Restrictions

In most cases, students wishing to take more than 18 semester hours (12 in the summer session) must have the overload approved by the dean of their college or school. Consult the individual college or school for specific guidelines as to course-load restrictions.

Credit by Examination

Degree students may take examinations for credit. To qualify for an examination, the student must be formally working toward a degree at UC Denver, have a GPA of at least 2.0 and be currently registered. Contact the registrar’s office for instructions. A nonrefundable fee is charged. Students should contact their degree advising office to determine whether the credit will apply to their degree.

No Credit

Students may register for a course on a no-credit basis with the consent of their instructor and the dean of their school or college. No grade or credit is awarded. The transcript reflects the name of the course taken and an N/C notation.

Pass/Fail Procedure

  1. Students who wish to register for a course on a pass/fail basis (or to revert from pass/fail to graded status) may do so only during the drop/add period.
  2. Up to 16 semester hours of course work may be taken on a pass/fail basis and credited toward the bachelor’s degree. Only 6 hours of course work may be taken pass/fail in any given semester. (Note: Individual schools and colleges may have additional restrictions as to pass/fail credits. See the accompanying chart for an overview.)
  3. Instructors will not be informed of pass/fail registration. All students who register for a pass/fail appear on the regular class roster, and a normal letter grade is assigned by the professor. When grades are received in the registrar’s office, those registrations with a pass/fail designation are automatically converted by the grade application system. Grades of D– and above convert to grades of P. Courses taken pass/fail will be included in hours toward graduation. Pass grades are not included in a student’s GPA. An F grade in a course taken pass/fail will be included in the GPA.
  4. Pass/fail registration records are maintained by the registrar’s office.
  5. Exceptions to the pass/fail regulations are permitted for specified courses offered by the School of Education & Human Development, the extended studies programs and study abroad programs.
  6. Graduate degree students can exercise the P/F option for undergraduate courses only. A grade of P will not be acceptable for graduate credit to satisfy any Graduate School requirement.
  7. Students who register for a course on a pass/fail basis may not later (after the drop/add period) decide to receive a letter grade.

Note: many other institutions will not accept a P grade for transfer credit.



Core Curriculum courses used to satisfy Intellectual Competencies cannot be taken on pass/fail basis.






Only nonbusiness electives may be taken pass/fail.


Only 6 semester hours may be taken pass/fail.

Engineering and Applied Science

Required courses may not be taken pass/fail. Upper division humanities and social sciences electives are acceptable; otherwise, major department approval is required. 

A maximum of 16 semester hours may be taken pass/fail, including courses taken in the honors program.

Liberal Arts and Sciences

College requires a minimum of 30 semester hours of courses with letter grades. Courses used to satisfy major, minor or foreign language cannot be taken on a pass/fail basis.

No more than 6 hours pass/fail any semester. A maximum of 16 semester hours may be taken pass/fail.

Module/Intensive Courses

Courses are also offered in five-week modules, in special weekend courses and in seminars. Students should contact the college/school for information on short-term courses offered each semester.

Withdrawal from the University

To withdraw from the University of Colorado Denver, students must drop all courses for the semester. Prior to census (see current academic calendar for census date), students must use the web registration system to drop courses. Courses dropped during this period are not recorded on the student’s permanent record.

After the census date (see current academic calendar for census date), through the 10th week (fourth week for summer) students must submit a withdrawal form with the approval of the dean and the Office of Financial Aid. Courses dropped during this period will be recorded on the student’s permanent record with a grade of W.

Students seeking to withdraw after the 10th week (fourth week for summer) must petition the associate dean of their school or college. A student who stops attending classes without officially withdrawing from the university will receive grades of F for all course work during that term.

Deadlines for dropping module and intensive courses appear in the student portal.

Other Registrations

Concurrent Enrollment

Degree-seeking students who wish to attend two University of Colorado campuses concurrently must obtain permission from their school or college on their home campus. A student in a degree program registered on the Downtown Campus may take up to two courses or 6 semester hours (whichever is greater) on another CU campus if:

  • the student obtains a concurrent registration form from the office of the academic dean or the registrar’s office
  • the course is not offered at the Denver Campus
  • the student obtains approval from the academic dean
  • there is space available at the other (host) campus
  • the student pays tuition at the Denver Campus (home campus) at Denver Campus rates
  • the home campus school or college arranges for space in the host campus classes
  • the concurrent request is processed before the end of the drop/add period on both the host and home campuses

To drop a concurrent course during the host campus drop/add period, arrange the drop at the home campus registrar’s office. To drop a concurrent course after the end of the host campus drop/add deadline, drop the course at the host campus registrar’s office.

Interinstitutional Registration

UC Denver degree students may enroll in courses offered by the Community College of Denver. Students must be enrolled at UC Denver for at least one course during the term to be eligible to register interinstitutionally. Registration is on a space available basis. Interinstitutional courses are evaluated for transfer credit and are not included in a UC Denver student’s GPA.

Pooled Courses at Metropolitan State College of Denver

Certain courses in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences have been pooled with similar courses at Metropolitan State College of Denver (Metro State). Undergraduate students at the Denver Campus may register for any of the pooled courses listed in the UC Denver Web registration system. Restrictions apply to the pooled courses:

  1. UC Denver, Denver Campus graduate students are not eligible to register for Metro State pooled courses.
  2. Metro State pooled courses will not be included in the University of Colorado GPA. Metro State courses will appear on the University of Colorado transcript and will count in hours toward graduation. See an academic advisor for approval.
  3. Metro State courses cannot be used to meet specific course requirements toward the major without prior written approval of the student’s dean.
  4. UC Denver, Denver Campus students who wish to take nonpooled Metro State courses must apply directly as a nondegree student to Metro State and pay tuition and fees to Metro State. Nonpooled classes will not appear on the University of Colorado transcript and will not be used in determining course loads for financial aid eligibility. Students may request an Metro State transcript to be sent to the Denver Campus at the end of the term to determine if credit can be transferred.
  5. Metro State common pool courses will not satisfy residency requirements at the Denver Campus. The last 30 semester hours applied toward the baccalaureate degree must be taken in residence at the Denver Campus.
  6. UC Denver, Denver Campus students taking Metro State common pool courses are subject to the Metro State grading policy and student code of conduct.

Academic Records


Student Classification

Students are classified according to the number of semester hours passed:
Freshman 0–29 hours
Sophomore 30–59 hours
Junior 60–89 hours
Senior 90+ hours

All transfer students will be classified on the same basis according to their hours of credit accepted by the University of Colorado.

Grading System and Policies

The following grading system and policies have been standardized for all academic units of the university. Other academic policies are listed in the University Policies chapter  of this catalog.

Grade Symbols

The instructor is responsible for whatever grade symbol (A, B, C, D, F, I or IP) is to be assigned. Special symbols (NC and W) are indications of registration or grade status and are not assigned by the instructor. Pass/fail designations are not assigned by the instructor but are automatically converted by the grade application system, as explained under “Pass/Fail Procedure.”

Standard Grades Quality Points
A = superior/excellent 4
A(-) = 3.7
B(+) = 3.3
B = good/better than average 3
B(-) = 2.7
C(+) = 2.3
C = competent/average 2
C(-) = 1.7
D(+)= 1.3
D = 1
D(-) = minimum passing 0.7
F = failing 0

Instructors may, at their discretion, use the PLUS/MINUS system but are not required to do so.

I—incomplete—converted to an F if not completed within one year.
IP—in progress—thesis at the graduate level only.
P/F—pass/fail—P grade is not included in the GPA; the F grade is included; up to 16 hours of pass/fail course work may be credited toward a bachelor’s degree.
H/P/F—honors/pass/fail—intended for honors courses; semester hours count toward the degree but are not included in the GPA.
NC indicates registration on a no-credit basis.
W indicates withdrawal without credit.

Explanation of I

An I is an incomplete grade. Policies with respect to I grades are available in the individual college and school dean’s offices.

An I is given only when students, for reasons beyond their control, have been unable to complete course requirements. A substantial amount of work must have been satisfactorily completed before approval for such a grade is given.

The instructor who assigns an I sets the conditions under which the course work can be completed and the time limit for its completion. The student is expected to complete the requirements by the established deadline and not retake the entire course.

It is the instructor’s and/or the student’s decision whether a course should be retaken. If a course is retaken, it must be completed on the Denver Campus or in extended studies classes. The student must re-register for the course and pay the appropriate tuition.

The final grade (earned by completing the course requirements or by retaking the course) does not result in deletion of the I from the transcript. A second entry is posted on the transcript to show the final grade for the course.

At the end of one year, I grades for courses that are not completed or repeated are changed to an F.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

GPA is computed by multiplying the credit points per hour (for example, B = 3) by the number of semester hours for each course. Total the hours, total the credit points and divide the total points by the total hours. Grades of P, NC, ***, W, IP, and I are not included in the GPA. Is that are not completed within one year are calculated as F in the GPA.

If a course is repeated, all grades earned are used in determining the GPA. Grades received at another institution are not included in the University of Colorado GPA.

Undergraduate, graduate and nondegree graduate GPAs are calculated separately. Enrollment in a second undergraduate or graduate program will not generate a second undergraduate or graduate GPA.

Students should refer to their academic dean’s office for individual GPA calculations as they relate to academic progress and graduation from their college or school.

Good Academic Standing

Good academic standing requires a minimum GPA that is determined by the student’s school or college. Grades earned at another institution are not used in calculating the GPA at the University of Colorado.

Degree students should consult the academic standards section of their school or college for degree program requirements.

Continuation as a nondegree student is contingent upon maintaining an overall GPA of 2.0 upon completion of 12 or more semester hours.

Failure to maintain the required average will result in a nondegree student being suspended. The suspension is for an indefinite period of time and becomes part of the student’s permanent record at the university.  While under suspension, enrollment at the university is restricted; for more information contact the dean’s office of the school /college you are enrolled in. 

Nondegree students are not placed on academic probation prior to being suspended.

Automated Degree Progress

A degree progress report is an automated record reflecting a student’s academic progress toward completing degree requirements in a declared major. Each degree progress report draws its information from the university’s student information system. Each time a new report is run, the most up-to-date course information and grades are used. A report can be requested by logging on to the student portal. Students should contact their schools and colleges for additional  information on the availability of a specific degree progress report.

Grade Reports

Grades are normally available within two weeks after the end of the semester and can be accessed through the registrar’s Web page at www.ucdenver.edu/registrar.



Students should make an appointment with the advising office of their school or college to determine what requirements remain for graduation. Students intending to graduate must complete an intent to graduate application found on the Office of the Registrar’s Web page under Degree Planning between the first day of registration for the term and the last day of drop/add (noted on the academic calendar - census). Students will not be officially certified to graduate until a final audit of the student’s record has been completed approximately six weeks after the end of the term. After students have been certified to graduate, they must reapply to return to the Denver Campus.


Students on the Denver Campus must file an application for candidacy with their graduate school office and complete an intent to graduate application found on the Office of the Registrar’s Web page under Degree Planning between the first day of registration for the term and the last day of drop/add. Check with your school for more information. Students will not be officially certified to graduate until a final audit of the student’s record has been completed, approximately six weeks after the end of the term. After students have been certified to graduate, they must reapply to return to UC Denver.


In early March, informational brochures will be mailed to students eligible to participate in the May spring-semester commencement. In early October, information regarding the December commencement will be mailed to students who graduated in summer term or expect to graduate in fall term. Information will be provided about ordering special display diplomas, fittings for caps and gowns and obtaining diplomas and transcripts with the degree recorded. This information is also available at www.ucdenver.edu/student-services/graduation/Pages/Graduation.aspx.

Class Rank

Class rank will be calculated by undergraduate degree program within a school or college. It is possible for more than one student to have the same class rank, If more than one student has equivalent class ranking it will be reported as such. The option for a letter indicating the student’s class rank will be provided to any graduating undergraduate, but there will be no designation on the University of Colorado transcript for Denver Campus students receiving bachelor’s degrees. There will be one class rank per student per degree. Students can obtain class rank letters through the student portal. Late postings and grade changes after degrees are posted will not recalculate rankings. Rankings will be a snapshot calculation conducted once per term for each graduating undergraduate student after degrees are posted.

Official Transcripts

The official transcript includes the complete undergraduate and graduate academic record of courses taken at all campus locations or divisions of the University of Colorado. It contains the signature of the registrar and the official seal of the university.

Official transcripts for any given semester are available approximately three weeks after final exams. A transcript on which a degree is to be recorded is available approximately eight weeks after final exams.

On the Denver Campus, transcripts may be ordered through the student portal or requested by fax at 303-556-4829. Transcript request forms are available at www.ucdenver.edu/registrar; click on Forms.

Requests include the following:

  • student’s full name (include given or other name if applicable)
  • student number
  • birth date
  • the last term and campus the student attended
  • whether the current semester grades are to be included when a transcript is ordered near the end of a term
  • whether the request should be held until a degree is recorded
  • agency, college or individuals to whom transcripts are to be sent (Complete mailing addresses should be included; transcripts sent to students are labeled “issued to student”)
  • student’s signature (This is the student’s authorization to release the records)

There is no charge for individual official transcripts (however fees are assessed for rush service). Transcripts are prepared only at the student’s request in writing or through online student PIN authentication. A student with financial obligations to the university that are due and unpaid will not be granted a transcript. Official transcripts require five to seven working days. Rush service is available and fees are assessed based on the service requested.

Notification of Rights Under FERPA at University of Colorado Denver

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s educational records within 45 days of the day that the university receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department or other appropriate official written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The university official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the university official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s educational records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading. Students may ask the university to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the university decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the university will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s educational records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the university in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the university has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor or collection agent); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an educational record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the university discloses educational records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University of Colorado to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

            Family Policy Compliance Office
            U.S. Department of Education
            400 Maryland Avenue, SW
            Washington, DC 20202-4605

The following items are designated “Directory Information” and may be released at the discretion of the University of Colorado Denver unless a student files a request to prevent their disclosure:

  • name
  • address
  • e-mail address
  • telephone number
  • dates of attendance
  • registration status
  • class
  • major
  • awards
  • honors
  • degrees conferred
  • photos
  • past and present participation in officially recognized sports and non-curricular activities
  • physical factors (height, weight) of athletes

Forms to prevent the disclosure of directory information can be obtained at the Student Service Center in North Classroom, 1003, or via the registrar’s Web site at www.ucdenver.edu/registrar. Questions regarding student rights under FERPA should be directed to the registrar’s office, 303-556-2389.