Nov 30, 2022
Please click here to see English department information.
The film studies option within the English major is designed to prepare students for a range of professional careers in areas, such as film criticism, video production and the teaching of film, as well as those students who plan to pursue graduate programs in film studies.
These degree requirements are subject to periodic revision by the academic department, and the College reserves the right to make exceptions and substitutions as judged necessary in individual cases. Therefore, the College strongly urges students to consult regularly with their major advisor and CLAS advisor to confirm the best plans of study before finalizing them.
- This is an on-campus program.
Declaring This Major
- Click here to go to information about declaring a major.
- Students planning to major in English must consult with an advisor as soon as possible.
- Students may choose only one of the three options in the English major.
To earn a degree, students must satisfy all requirements in each of the areas below, in addition to their individual major requirements.
- Students must complete a minimum of 39 ENGL credit hours.
- Students must complete a minimum of 27 upper-division (3000-level and above) ENGL credit hours.
- Students must earn a minimum grade of C-(1.7) in all major courses taken at CU Denver and must achieve a minimum cumulative major GPA of 2.0. All graded attempts in required and elective courses are calculated in the major GPA. Students cannot complete major or ancillary course requirements as pass/fail.
- Students must complete a minimum of 15 ENGL upper-division (3000-level or above) credit hours with CU Denver faculty.
Program Restrictions, Allowances and Recommendations
- ENGL 1010, 1020, and 2030 are not included in the major.
- Internship/cooperative education courses may be counted toward the major for students who have junior standing or higher.
- Students are not to exceed 56 English credit hours (any level).
- Double majors in English and English Writing are exempt from the 56-hour rule and must complete 63 hours total for both majors.
- Production courses must be taken through the College of Arts & Media (CAM). Equivalent screenwriting courses may also be taken through CAM.
- Courses marked with an asterisk are repeatable if taken as a different genre/director/topic.
- The English Department also offers a minor in English Writing & Rhetoric;Courses counted in a minor cannot be counted toward the major.
- A minimum of 15 upper division (3000-level and above) ENGL credit hours must be taken with CU Denver faculty.
- Latin Honors may be earned by participating in the department’s Honors Program. You are encouraged to begin the program in your junior year. The program requires additional coursework and affords you the opportunity to work individually with the professor of your choice. Handouts are available in the English office.