Jul 21, 2024  
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog 
2019-2020 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Policies and Procedures

Click on any of the following for more information:

Academic Standing 
Course Information 
Declaring/Changing Your Major 


Student Rights 
Transfer Credit 



Academic Calendar

Consult the official CU Denver Academic Calendar to determine when registration will open and close for each term. CU Denver academic calendars for upcoming semesters can be found on the Registrar’s Office webpage.

Add/Drop Deadlines

Please review the current term’s academic calendar for the most recent add/drop deadlines by visiting the Registrar’s website at www.ucdenver.edu/registrar.

Adding a Course

From your registration time assignment to the Sunday after classes begin, you are able to add classes through UCDAccess. If a class is closed/full, you can add your name to the waitlist (if available) through this date. See the Waitlist Policy for more information.

To add a class after the first Sunday of the semester to the census date, you will need to obtain the instructor’s permission by completing the Late Add form


College of Arts & Media

College of Arts & Media (CAM) policy states that students who miss the first two class sessions of any CAM course can be administratively dropped. Likewise, students may not be permitted to add any CAM course if they have missed the first two class sessions. 

Business School

Students may add courses to their original schedule through the census date (first 12 days of the fall or spring semester, first eight days of summer session). Instructor approval is required to add a course after the first week of classes. In some cases, instructors do not allow students to add their course if the student fails to attend the first week of classes. In addition, instructors may ask that a student be administratively dropped from the course for failure to attend the first week of classes.

Course Credit Limitations by School/College


Business School

Specifically, the school will accept:

  • a maximum of 6 semester hours of the theory of physical education, theory of recreation and/or theory of dance
  • a maximum of 6 semester hours of approved independent study, internships, experimental studies, choir, band and/or music lessons, art lessons
  • a maximum of 12 semester hours of advanced ROTC, providing the student is enrolled in the program and completes the total program

The school will not accept: activity physical education classes, recreation, workshops, orientations, dance, teaching methods, practicums and courses reviewing basic skills in computers, English composition, mathematics and chemistry.

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

Up to 8 semester hours of activity courses in physical education will count toward the 120 hours required for the degree.

Adding a Course After Census

To add a class after census through the last day of the term, a Schedule Adjustment Form with both the instructor’s and dean’s signature needs to be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.


College of Arts & Media

Students wishing to add a full-term course after census must file a Late Add Petition with the college for review and consideration. Contact CAMadvising@ucdenver.edu for petition guidelines.

Administrative Add Policy


College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences may provide permission to a student or may add a student to a class with student and instructor permission through Census, provided the room has capacity for that student and all prerequisites have been met, or explicit exception to a prerequisite has been granted and no other circumstances are preventing the student from being eligible, i.e. course overload, time conflict or holds that prevent normal addition of a class and require additional approvals. After Census, a student must petition and obtain permission from the appropriate assistant/associate dean for this to occur, according to deadlines posted in the academic calendar. 

Administrative Drop Policy

An administrative drop is implemented by university officials in the registrar’s office or the dean’s office. A student may be administratively dropped from one or more classes or withdrawn from all classes for any of the following reasons:

  • failure to meet certain preconditions, including but not limited to:
    • class cancellations
    • failure to meet course prerequisites
  • whenever the safety of the student, faculty member or other students in a course would be jeopardized
  • academic suspension, including but not limited to failure to attain or maintain a required GPA
  • as a potential sanction for a violation of the code of student conduct
  • disruptive behavior determined by the chair and/or associate dean or Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards to be detrimental to the progress of the course and the education of other students


College of Arts & Media

Students who miss the first two class sessions of a College of Arts & Media course can be administratively dropped. Students who never attend class should not assume that they will be automatically dropped from the course. The student is responsible for dropping courses by published deadlines. Failure to do so will result in a charge of tuition and/or fees for the class and a grade of “F”.

Business School

The school reserves the right to administratively drop students who are incorrectly enrolled in business courses. Instructors also may recommend that students who fail to meet expected course attendance or course prerequisites be dropped from the course. Generally, students who are administratively dropped will not receive tuition refunds.

In some cases, failure to attend the first week of classes may result in an administrative drop from that course.

Note: Students who never attend class are not automatically dropped from the course. The student is responsible for dropping courses and failure to do so will result in a tuition charge for the class and an F grade.

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences reserves the right to administratively drop a student from a course if s/he has not met all system enforced prerequisites or met the attendance policies as stated in course syllabi, with the approval of the appropriate assistant/associate dean. The student will be notified that an administrative drop will occur prior to that action taking place. If no administrative drop occurs, the student will be held accountable for all coursework and may receive a W or a failing grade and will be financially responsible for tuition and fees, unless a request to drop is made by the student, according to academic calendar deadlines. All administrative drops must occur prior to Census so that students do not receive a W on the transcript and are not held financially responsible for full tuition, though there may be fees incurred that students are financially responsible for paying. In the case of an administrative error, students may petition to drop a course through their CLAS advisor. If approved students will be dropped from the course, will not receive a W on the transcript and will receive a tuition refund.

Outstanding Debt/Administrative Drop Policy

Students who owe a past due debt to the university in excess of $300 will be administratively dropped from any future terms if past due amount is not paid in full before the Friday prior to the first day of classes of the next term.

Administrative Switch Policy


College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences may grant an administrative switch from one section of a course to another section of the same course, with the approval of the appropriate assistant/associate dean, waiving the $100 drop fee, if a student has enrolled in a section of a course in error or can demonstrate circumstances beyond their control and can no longer attend the original section of the course. This is only permitted before Census date, after which time all students will be assessed a drop fee and will receive a W on the transcript for any section of a course that is dropped, regardless of whether another section of the same course is added.


To qualify as an auditor for fall, spring or summer semester, a student must be 21 years of age or older or approved by the registrar. Auditors may not be registered for any other University of Colorado courses during the time they are auditing. Auditors are not eligible to audit courses if they are under suspension from the university or have outstanding financial obligations to the university.

The registrar’s office does not keep any record of courses audited; therefore, credit for these courses cannot be established. Auditors may attend as many courses as they wish (except those courses with laboratories or where special equipment is used), provided they have received permission from each instructor.

An auditor’s card is issued by the Bursar’s Office after classes begin. An auditor’s card is non-refundable. Auditors, whether resident or nonresident, pay for three semester hours of resident tuition for all audited courses during the fall, spring and or summer semester for class instruction and library privileges only. Auditors do not receive student parking privileges and are not eligible for other student services. This card should be presented to the instructor upon entering the class. For more information, contact the Bursar’s Office.

Lifelong Learners Program

Area residents who are 60 years of age or older may attend classes at the University of Colorado Denver on a non-credit/non-tuition basis during the fall and spring semesters. Note: Each academic department/unit may have its own policy regarding your acceptance into a specific class. Seniors may take any course (offered at CU Denver) listed in the online course schedule except: courses which require laboratory or special equipment use, computer courses, courses offered through the Division of Extended Studies, courses with additional fees, CU online courses, CU South Denver or Anschutz Medical Campus courses, and intensive and/or module courses (i.e. Maymester, 6 week, or hybrid). Acceptance in class will be determined by the instructor, based on space availability, and the previous level of education obtained by the senior citizen student. Participants may register for classes beginning the first day of class. The last day to register for a class via the Lifelong Learners program is the second Friday after classes begin. Submissions after this day will not be reviewed. A limit of two courses may be taken per semester. Note: The instructor is NOT required to review written or oral exams, or assignments.

For more information please visit the Lifelong Learners webpage.

Intercampus Enrollment with Other CU Campuses

Degree-seeking students who wish to attend courses to fulfill degree requirements at University of Colorado campuses concurrently must obtain permission from their school or college on their home campus. A student in a degree program registered on the Denver campus may take up to two courses or six semester hours (whichever is greater) on another CU campus if:

  • the student obtains an Intercampus Enrollment and Policy registration form from the office of the academic dean or the registrar’s office
  • the course is not offered at the Denver campus
  • the student obtains approval from the academic dean
  • the student has fulfilled the requisites/prerequisites of the course they are requesting
  • there is space available at the other (host) campus
  • the student pays tuition at the Denver campus (home campus) at Denver campus rates
  • the intercampus request is processed before the end of the drop/add period on the home campus

To drop an intercampus course during the host campus drop/10-week drop period, arrange the drop at the home campus registrar’s office. To drop an intercampus course after the 10-week drop period deadline, the student must observe the drop procedures at the host campus and communicate with the registrar’s office of the host and home campuses.


A hold is a service indicator that prevents registering for classes and receiving an official transcript and/or diploma. A hold can be placed on a student’s record for a variety of reasons that may include, financial, health, academic standing, and advising. These holds should be resolved in a timely manner.  The student should contact the appropriate department to get these holds addressed. 


College of Arts & Media

Periodically, students may find a hold placed on their registration by the Office of Advising and Student Services, requiring them to meet with a College of Arts & Media (CAM) advisor prior to registering. Students can view registration holds in the Student Center of their UCDAccess accounts. As other offices may also place a hold on a student’s registration, students are encouraged to resolve any registration holds through the appropriate offices prior to their registration date/time.

All incoming CAM students will be flagged with advising holds which require a meeting with an academic advisor prior to registering for their first semester of courses. New first-year students are also required to attend New Student Orientation, and transfer students may be required to participate in an orientation as well.

Students on academic probation will have a hold placed on their registration and be required to connect with an academic advisor each semester in order to add classes. Consult the Academic Standing  page in this catalog for details.

Business School

Enrollment in business classes is limited to students who have been admitted to business degree programs and to other students as described in the separate undergraduate and graduate policy sections. The course registration criteria are designed to meet a number of objectives:

  • to serve students in other colleges who have business-related education objectives or requirements
  • to serve non-degree students who have specific career or education goals
  • to assure access to business courses for students admitted into a business degree program

Refer to the student portal each term for course availability and prerequisites.

High School Postsecondary and Concurrent Enrollment

High school juniors and seniors with demonstrated academic abilities may be admitted to CU Denver with special approval for one term only. This approval may be renewed. Credit for courses taken may subsequently be applied toward a university degree program, if applicable. For more information and application instructions, contact the Office of Admissions, 303-315-2619 or admissions@ucdenver.edu.

Independent Study


College of Arts & Media

The College of Arts & Media (CAM) has independent study policies that determine eligibility, registration and how independent study credits may apply toward bachelor’s degrees. Students should consult a CAM advisor, program director, or Department chair for specific eligibility criteria and registration procedures. The number of semester hours to be earned for an independent study project shall be determined at the time of registration. A maximum of 12 semester hours of independent study may apply toward the bachelor’s degree and cannot be used to replace existing and available courses. Enrolling in an independent study course requires dean’s/advising office approval and is not guaranteed. Please contact CAMadvising@ucdenver.edu for additional information and appropriate paperwork. Independent study should be added by the census date (add/drop deadline) as noted on the academic calendar.

Business School

Junior or senior business students desiring to work beyond regular course coverage may take variable credit courses (1-3 semester hours) as non-business electives under the direction of an instructor who approves the project, but the student must have the appropriate approval before registering. A maximum of 6 semester hours may be applied toward degree requirements. A Special Processing form must be signed by the student, the instructor, the program director and the director of advising and admissions.

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

Independent studies are faculty-mentored, individually structured courses or research or creative projects designed and scheduled outside of the standard course grid. Independent study allows for investigations beyond the structured curriculum and classroom and exploration of content material that closely relates to faculty and student interest. However, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences does not guarantee that credit earned through an independent study will count toward graduation requirements or be accepted as transfer credits.

The CU Denver campus requires manual registration using a Special Processing Form for students participating in independent study. This form constitutes the course syllabus agreement between faculty and student. The Special Processing Form requires (1) project title, (2) short, detailed project description, including texts and practical application of skills, and (3) explicit performance or grading criteria. The faculty should separately negotiate a schedule of meetings and deadlines with the student. The form is reviewed and approved by a CLAS Associate Dean/Assistant Dean prior to student registration.

The College faculty developed the following requirements relating to student and faculty participation in independent study. Faculty seeking to waive or modify any of the policies below should work with the appropriate CLAS Associate Dean/Assistant Dean.

Student Requirements

  • Enrollment as a CLAS student or, if enrolled in another major/minor, school/college, or institution, signed authorization on the Special Processing Form by the advisor/chair/dean of the originating school/college or institution prior to review by the CLAS associate or assistant dean.
  • Graduate student status for 5840 (or higher), junior or senior status for 4840, sophomore status for 2840.
  • Minimum GPA of 2.5 for undergraduates and 3.0 for graduate students.
  • Submission of the Special Processing Form prior to the third week of a regular semester. After the third week, a petition to add is required. Summer and intensive sessions will have different deadlines.

Faculty Requirements

  • CLAS tenured, tenure-track, Clinical Teaching Track, Senior Instructor, or Instructor rank.
  • CLAS graduate faculty status for faculty sponsoring graduate independent study.
  • Direct, not indirect, supervision by the designated CLAS faculty member.
  • For instructor-rank faculty, approval by the department chair, though all untenured faculty should limit the number of independent studies and are advised to consult with the chair before taking them on.

Project Requirements

  • CLAS discipline or directly discipline related content, though may be interdisciplinary.
  • Unique or individually executed project content for each student.
  • Not available as, or part of, a structured course offered during the same term.
  • 3 student participation hours per week for each credit hour requested. Note: 4:1 ratio in summer.

Interinstitutional Coursework at Community College of Denver

To be eligible to participate in the Inter-Institutional program between CU Denver and the Community College of Denver (CCD), there are restrictions that will apply:

  • Consult your department chair, Dean, or advisor to verify that the courses apply toward your degree requirements.
  • Must be a degree-seeking student.
  • Must be enrolled in classes at CU Denver during the same term as requested enrollment at CCD.
  • Complete the Inter-Institutional Application and Registration form.
  • Registration form must be approved and signed by the Dean’s office.
  • Submit the forms to the Registrar’s office at CU Denver for approval.
  • Register, after approval, for classes at CCD according to the published deadline.
    • CU Denver students will not be waitlisted for any CCD classes that are full.
    • Online and extended campus classes are not part of the Inter-Institutional Agreement.
  • Credit hours taken at CCD must be equal to or less than the number of credits taken at CU Denver. The credits may not exceed 9 credit hours or two full-term classes (whichever may be higher) per semester.
  • CU Denver students are required to meet all CCD course prerequisites prior to registration. If necessary, the student must submit an unofficial transcript to CCD Testing Center.
  • Application and Registration forms along with a copy of the CCD class schedule must be submitted to the Registrar’s office at CCD for approval.
  • CCD will submit all approved documents to CU Denver Registrar to add host institution credit hours.
  • Tuition fees for all classes will be billed through CU Denver and payment must be made according to published deadlines.
  • Students must follow the CCD academic calendar concerning all deadlines and dates. Courses must be added by the last date to register for a full semester class or dropped by Census date.
    • Verify all CCD deadlines as they are different than CU Denver’s Academic Calendar deadlines.
    • Any registration modifications must be submitted to both CCD and CU Denver.
    • If classes are not dropped by both institutions, you may receive an “F” as a letter grade on your transcripts.
  • At the end of the term, CU Denver students must obtain an official transcript from CCD and submit it to CU Denver Admissions for transfer credits.
  • It is the responsibility of the student to ensure proper registration and transfer credits for inter-institutional courses.



College of Arts & Media

Internships provide important educational and professional experience. A maximum of 3 semester hours of internship credit per semester and 9 semester hours overall is allowed. Internship credit may not be awarded retroactively or after the student begins internship hours. Students should consult with an academic advisor about the counting of internship credits in their degree plans.

The college requires that students have the following to qualify for an internship:

  • 60 completed semester hours
  • Minimum of a 2.75 cumulative University of Colorado GPA

Specific academic programs may have additional eligibility requirements for an internship. Students seeking an internship should consult with the college’s Office of Advising and Student Services and the Experiential Learning Center. Additional information is available by contacting CAMadvising@ucdenver.edu. Occasionally opportunities arise mid-semester; in such cases, students must file a Special Processing Form to add the course and, depending on the date, may be required to petition the associate dean for approval to add an internship.

Business School

Internships are included in the experiential learning requirement of the undergraduate business program. To be eligible to enroll in an internship for experiential learning credit, the undergraduate student must meet the following grade and course work requirements:

  • the student must be in good standing with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.750, and a GPA in the area of emphasis of at least 2.000
  • the student must have completed (a) all required lower-division course work and (b) at least 21 semester hours of the business core courses

Graduate students must be admitted to the Business School, be in good standing with at least a 3.000 GPA and have completed 15 semester hours of graduate work on the Denver Campus.

Interested students should contact the Experiential Learning Center (303-556-6656) for further details about the program.

School of Education and Human Development

Internships are a large part of our work in SEHD, but have varying requirements by program. Please refer to program handbooks and materials for policies regarding internships.

College of Engineering, Design and Computing

Internships are a way for students to gain professional experience while studying at CU Denver. Many internship positions lead to permanent employment opportunities upon graduation. Contact the Career Center at 303-556-2250 for information on the specific eligibility requirements.

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

Undergraduate students may seek credit from an employment experience that contains academic content and is sponsored by a CLAS faculty member. Internships are helpful for career exploration early in a student’s academic career or for job experience after developing academic content in the major.

Students must have a minimum 2.750 cumulative GPA in a minimum of 15 credit hours of CU Denver course work. A maximum of 12 credit hours of internship credit per semester and 12 credit hours overall can be applied toward graduation. Undergraduate students should contact the Experiential Learning Center for details about the internship contract and faculty sponsorship requirements.

Pooled Courses at Metropolitan State University of Denver

Certain courses in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the College of Arts & Media at CU Denver may be taken by MSU Denver students and a number of courses at Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) may be taken by CU Denver students. Undergraduate students at the Denver Campus may register for any of the pooled courses listed in the CU Denver web registration system. Some restrictions apply to the pooled courses. For more information please see the Metro Pooled website.

Proficiency Testing

Degree students may take examinations for credit. To qualify for an examination, the student must be formally working toward a degree at CU Denver, have a GPA of at least 2.000 and be currently registered. Contact the registrar’s office for instructions. A nonrefundable fee is charged. Students should contact their degree advising office to determine whether the credit will apply to their degree.


College of Arts & Media

Students with sufficient experience and knowledge may contact CAMadvising@ucdenver.edu to discuss testing out of required course work. The College of Arts & Media does not waive credits or requirements; thus, if students successfully demonstrate mastery of the material (as determined by the appropriate faculty), they will be advised into substitute courses.

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

Students with sufficient experience and knowledge may receive credit for a specific course by taking a comprehensive examination given by the faculty.


CU Denver students can register and obtain information regarding their academic and financial records by logging into their UCD Access portal.

Online registration allows the student to check the availability of specific courses prior to their registration time and to search for available courses by department, course level or meeting time. If registration in a course is denied, the reason will be specified in UCD Access.

Enrollment Appointment

An enrollment appointment is a specific time and date at which a student can register for classes through UCDAccess. This enrollment appointment is assigned to a student the semester prior to the term of registration. Students cannot enroll for classes prior to the date and time specified. Students are given an enrollment appointment based on the number of completed credit hours. The general progression of registration will start with graduate students, 5th-year seniors, seniors, juniors, sophomore, freshman, and non-degree students. Students who register as soon as their enrollment appointment begins are more likely to find space in the courses they prefer.

Course Load/Restriction

In most cases, students wishing to take more than 18 semester hours (12 in the summer session) must have the overload approved by the dean of their college or school. Consult the individual college or school for specific guidelines as to course-load restrictions.


College of Engineering, Design and Computing

Full-time Students. Undergraduate students employed less than 10 hours per week should consider registering for courses as outlined in the departmental curricula. Additional courses may be allowed when there is satisfactory evidence that the student has the capability to handle the added load. Permission to take more than 19 hours may be granted by written petition and approval of the department chair and the dean’s office.

Registration for Non-Degree Seeking Students

Students who have been matriculated as Main Campus Non-Degree are eligible to enroll in classes that are offered as part of a degree program or as part of Extended Studies. Main Campus Non-Degree Seeking students can register during Open Enrollment, which begins after enrollment periods for degree-seeking students.

Students who have been matriculated as Continuing and Professional Education are only eligible to enroll in Extended Studies classes. Enrollment periods for these courses vary because not all of them meet in accordance with the regular semester. Students should check with the school or department offering the Extended Studies course or program for drop/add deadlines, course details, and eligibility.


College of Engineering, Design and Computing

Non-degree students may apply 12 semester hours of course work (or up to 18 if taken in one semester) toward a bachelor’s degree in engineering from CU Denver. Non-degree graduate students may apply 9 semester hours of graduate-level course work toward a master’s degree in engineering from CU Denver.

Registration Status

Individual students receiving financial aid may be required to complete hours in addition to those listed below. The exact requirements for financial aid will be listed in the student’s financial aid award letter.

Undergraduates students:

  • Full-time          12 or more semester hours
  • Half-time          6 - 11.5 semester hours

Graduate degree students and non-degree graduate students:

  • Full-time
    • 5 or more semester hours
    • 0 semester hours as a candidate for degree
    • 1 or more semester hours of thesis (not master’s reports or thesis preparation)
  • Half-time:
    • 3 - 4.9 semester hours
  • Less than half-time:
    • Fewer than 3 credits


Enrollment verification including full-time/part-time attendance can be certified beginning the first day of class.

Hours for calculating full-time/part-time attendance do not include interinstitutional hours, nor do they include hours on another CU campus, unless the student is enrolled through concurrent registration.

Students receiving The Department of Veteran Affairs Education benefits should contact the Veteran & Military Student Services for the definition of full-time status for summersessions. Contact information: 303-315-7300 or vmss@ucdenver.edu.

Individual exceptions to the minimum graduate course-load levels are considered for financial aid purposes by the financial aid committee. Students must file a written appeal with the Office of Financial Aid.

Student Classification

Students are classified according to the number of semester hours passed:

Freshman                         0-29 hours
Sophomore                      30-59 hours
Junior                               60-89 hours
Senior                              90+ hours

All transfer students will be classified on the same basis according to their hours of credit accepted by the University of Colorado.

Waitlist Policy

If you are eligible to take a class but find that it is closed/full, you may request to be placed on a waitlist (if available) through UCDAccess. Placing your name on a waitlist does not guarantee that you will be enrolled in that class. However, waitlists have proven to be a very effective tool for students wishing to register in closed classes.

You cannot be enrolled in and/or waitlisted for classes offered at the same time. You cannot be enrolled/waitlisted for two sections of the same class (except in the case of Special Topics classes). Use the ‘drop this class if enrolled’ function in UCDAccess to maximize your enrollment choices.

Monitor your status on the waitlist; you will be enrolled for the class if there is space. You may attend all classes until you confirm whether or not you are officially enrolled in the class. You are responsible for the tuition if you become enrolled from the waitlist, even if you do not attend. If you do not wish to take the class, you are responsible to drop it according to the published deadlines in the Academic Calendar on the Office of the Registrar’s webpage.

Waitlist Positions and Enrollment

When someone drops a closed class, the student who is next on the waitlist is automatically enrolled. Schools and colleges reserve the right to make exceptions to manage their waitlists based on unique needs and circumstances. Please check your class schedule on UCDAccess through the 10th day of classes in spring and fall, and through the seventh day of classes in summer, to see if you have been enrolled in the class(es).

CU Online-Waitlisted Courses

You will have access to an online class while you are on the waitlist. While you are waiting for confirmation or denial of enrollment, you may participate in a waitlisted online class as well. After the first week of class, if you have not been automatically enrolled into the class, you will be dropped. If you want to be added to a closed class, you must obtain permission from the instructor. Contact CU Online for assistance in contacting the instructor.

Dropping Waitlisted Courses

If you choose not to remain on a waitlist, drop the class as soon as possible. Or if you find that you have been enrolled in a class that you no longer want, drop the class as soon as possible.

Withdrawing From a Course

From census until the 10th week of classes, a student may withdraw from most courses using the UCDAccess Portal. 

Students may be financially responsible for part or all tuition and fees for any class drops or withdrawals and that drops or withdrawals may lead to adjustments to their financial aid/awards package, Department of Veteran Affairs education benefits, or other eligibility/benefits that are dependent upon enrollment status. International students understand that class drops or withdrawals may impact their immigration status. A W grade appears on the transcript after published deadlines. Contact the Registrar’s Office with questions about class drops or withdrawals.


College of Engineering, Design and Computing

After the tenth week of the semester, dropping a course requires a petition signed by the department chair and the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs. Only under very extenuating circumstances, such as a documented medical or personal emergency, will petitions for dropping courses be approved after the tenth week of the semester.

To Withdraw from CU Denver

To withdraw from the University of Colorado Denver, students must withdrawal all courses for the semester. Through the 10th week of the semester (4th week for summer semester), students withdraw from their classes through the UCD Access Portal. At the start of the 11th week (5th week for summer semester) through the Wednesday before finals week, students submit a Late Withdrawal Petition to their home college. After the Wednesday before finals week, students submit a Retroactive Withdrawal Petition to their home college. See the Academic Calendar for all withdrawal deadlines.

If the Late Withdrawal or Retroactive Withdrawal petition is approved, students are withdrawn from the courses indicated on the petition and a grade of W is recorded on their academic record. If the Late Withdrawal or Retroactive Withdrawal petition is not approved, students remain enrolled in the course.      

Prior to the census date (see Academic Calendar), withdrawn classes are not recorded on the student’s academic record. After census date, withdrawn courses are recorded on the student’s academic record with a grade of W. A student who stops attending classes without officially withdrawing from classes will receive grades based on the work they completed in the course and course and college specific grading policies.

Deadlines for dropping module and intensive courses appear in the student portal.

Medical Withdrawal

A student who wishes to withdraw under the Medical Withdrawal Policy must withdraw from all classes; partial withdrawals are not permitted. Additionally, international students must contact their assigned International Services Specialist to discuss visa implications associated with withdrawing. Students seeking to withdraw for non-medical reasons will need to review the withdrawal policies and procedures for their respective school or college.

Retroactive Drop/Withdrawal


College of Arts & Media

After the completion of a semester, students wishing to attempt to withdraw from one or more courses in that semester must file a petition for retroactive action with the College of Arts & Media. Petitions should include documentation of circumstances that were beyond the student’s control and that impacted the grade(s) and the student’s ability to withdraw from the course(s) before the end of the semester. Petitions should be submitted within one year of the end of the original semester. Contact CAMadvising@ucdenver.edu for petition guidelines. If the petition is approved, the course(s) and grade(s) of W will appear on the transcript; students remain responsible for all tuition and fees associated with the course(s).

College of Liberal Arts and Sciences

In the event of circumstances that preclude a student from attending class, it is the student’s responsibility to carry out drop procedures before the end of the semester. It is against normal college policy to allow a student to drop after the completion of the semester for which grades are already posted.

Students who must stop attending one or more of the classes in which they are enrolled for a term, but who fail to properly drop, may be eligible for a retroactive drop or withdrawal. Courses must have occurred no more than seven years prior to the date of the retroactive drop/withdrawal petition to be eligible.

It is the responsibility of the student seeking a retroactive drop/withdrawal to submit a complete written petition. Detailed instructions can be obtained from the CLAS Academic Advising Office, or the Graduate School for graduate students.

College of Engineering, Design and Computing

The university specifies the date up to which students may drop a course using the online course registration and schedule adjustment system. This date usually occurs at the end of the first week of classes for that semester. After this date, students must use a Schedule Adjustment Form to add or drop courses from their schedules. This form requires the signature of the course instructor. Beyond the end of the tenth week of the semester, this form also requires the signature of the department advisor in which the student is majoring. The student’s department will verify that the course being dropped is not a co-requisite to another course in which the student is enrolled that semester. If so, then the other course must also be dropped. A course withdrawal after the tenth week of the semester is at the discretion of the instructor and the student’s department, and signatures must be obtained from both. No course withdrawals will be approved after the end of the 14th week of the semester for any reason except unforeseen circumstances beyond the student’s control.

A complete withdrawal from the semester requires the same Schedule Adjustment form, but it only requires the signature of the dean of the student’s college and the Financial Aid Office, if applicable.

Note: The student is responsible to inform the university offices of any change in schedule that may affect enrollment requirements for items such as financial aid, scholarships, or international visas.